2023 EDWIN MARSH MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATIONS
PLEASE DISTRIBUTE TO MEMBERSHIP
1. Up to four (4) scholarships for the 2023-2024 academic year will be awarded to up to four (4) applicants who shall be one of the following:
- an immediate family member of a building trades union member who is a full-time college or vocational training student, or
- a building trades union affiliated apprentice, or
- a building trades union member engaged in furthering his/her education or skills to the benefit of his/her craft and Indiana’s Building Trades Unions.
The value of each scholarship is $1,000.00. Each applicant must be a member or dependent child of a member of a local building trades union in good standing with the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council.
2. The winners will be selected from all entrants who submit a short essay on the below listed 2023 Essay Topic.
3. Each essay should be between 600 and 1,500 words in length, be typewritten, double-spaced, and follow APA guidelines for formatting style.
4. Entries MUST include a cover sheet with the following information:
- Student’s name,
- Mailing address,
- E-mail address,
- Name of university, college, or vocational school which he/she is attending or plans to attend; or the name of joint apprenticeship training center in which entrant is currently enrolled; or the name of the building trades local union and continuing education sought or engaged in,
- His/her relationship to a building trades union member, the members name, and the name of the local union of which that person is a member in good standing.
- Entries MUST be mailed to: The Edwin Marsh Memorial Scholarship Fund, c/o Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council, 150 W. Market St., Suite 805, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
- Entries MUST be received by 5:00 p.m. EDT, Monday, July 31, 2023. Entries received after this time will not be considered.
- When received, each essay will be assigned a number. A master list will show the number and the name of the person submitting the essay. The review committee will NOT see the name of the applicant or the cover sheet accompanying the essay. Any personal information included within the essay will be redacted. Therefore, the review committee makes their selection based solely on the content of the essay.
- All essays submitted shall become the property of the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council and entrants give express permission for publication of all entries including the name of each author.
- The Executive Board of the Indiana State Building and Construction Trades Council shall administer this scholarship program, and its decision shall be final.
- Selection of scholarship recipients will be announced on or after August 25, 2023. Winners will be notified by both e-mail and U.S. Mail. Those not winning will be notified via e-mail.
2023 Edwin Marsh Memorial Scholarship Essay Topic
The Indiana General Assembly recently passed HEA 1002, a massive bill that at its core seeks to expand work-based learning in Indiana high schools, such as apprenticeships. Please research the enrolled bill and give your thoughts on how Indiana’s Building Trades Unions could utilize the legislation to attract more aspiring apprentices.